They're discounts on your homeowner's insurance coverage for making your home more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.
Five of the most common green discounts that homeowners can take advantage of to reduce their insurance costs include:
1. Solar panel installation: Many insurance companies offer discounts to homeowners who install solar panels on their homes. This is because solar panels can help reduce energy consumption and decrease the risk of fires.
2. Energy-efficient appliances: Replacing old, inefficient appliances with new, energy-efficient models can also qualify you for discounts on your homeowners insurance.
3. Smart home technology: Installing smart home technology such as smart thermostats, security systems, and leak detectors can also qualify you for discounts.
4. Green building materials: Using green building materials such as bamboo flooring, low-VOC paint, and sustainable wood can also qualify you for discounts on your insurance.
5. Landscaping: Having a well-maintained landscape can also qualify you for discounts on your insurance. This is because landscaping can help reduce the risk of fires.
By taking steps like these, you may not only reduce your environmental impact, but also save money on your homeowners insurance.
Check with your insurance agent to see if your specific insurance provider offers any green discounts.