Did you know December and January are the peak months for house fires in the US?
According to the National Fire Protection Association , COOKING EQUIPMENT is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries, with a reported $1.3 billion annually in property damage.
Here are 5 fire safety tips for cooking to help you avoid unexpected claims for house damage:
1. Keep a lid nearby when cooking on the stovetop to slide over the pan and smother the flames.
2. Install a smoke alarm near the kitchen and make sure it works.
3. Have a fire blanket or fire extinguisher in the kitchen and know how to use them.
4. Keep the stove and oven clean: food/grease build-up can be a fire hazard..
5. Unplug small electrical appliances when not using to prevent a fire from malfunction.
Be vigilant when cooking, and talk with your insurance agent at least annually to insure your replacement cost adequately covers unexpected damage.
Comments are closed.