It's severe weather preparedness week! Here are 7 important tips for policyholders to prepare for severe weather:
1. Review your insurance coverage: Before severe weather strikes, take the time to review your insurance policy and make sure you have adequate coverage, including for flood or wind damage, which can require separate policies.
2. Create an inventory: Keep a detailed inventory of your belongings, including serial numbers and photos, in case you need to make a claim. Store a copy in a safe place, like a cloud-based storage service.
3. Secure your property: Take steps ahead of time to protect your property from damage, such as installing storm shutters, reinforcing roofs, and clearing debris from gutters.
4. Have an emergency plan: Make a plan with your family for what to do during a severe weather event, including where to go and how to communicate with each other.
5. Document damage: If severe weather does occur, take photos and videos of any damage to your property and keep receipts for any necessary repairs or replacements.
6. Contact your insurance company: After severe weather, contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report any damage and start the claims process.
7. Be patient: The claims process can take time, especially in the wake of widespread damage from severe weather.
Following these tips will better prepare you for severe weather and ensure your insurance coverage will be there when you need it most.