The cost of homeowners insurance can be significant, but there are a number of discounts that can help lower your premium.
Here is a list of 10 (yes, 10!) homeowners insurance discounts that you may be eligible for.
1. Bundling Discount: Bundle your homeowners insurance with other types of insurance, such as auto or life insurance, and you may qualify for a discount.
2. Safety Discount: Installing safety devices, such as smoke detectors, burglar alarms, and deadbolts, can lower your insurance rate.
3. Claims-Free Discount: If you have not filed any insurance claims in a certain number of years, you may qualify for a discount.
4. New Home Discount: If you have recently purchased a new home, you may be eligible for a discount on your insurance rate.
5. Senior Citizen Discount: Some insurance companies offer discounts to senior citizens, typically those over the age of 55.
6. Automatic Payment Discount: Sign up for automatic payments and you may be eligible for a discount on your insurance rate.
7. Non-Smoker Discount: If you do not smoke, you may be eligible for a discount on your homeowners insurance.
8. Loyalty Discount: If you have been a long-time customer with an insurance company, you may qualify for a loyalty discount.
9. Occupation Discount: Some insurance companies offer discounts to certain professions such as teachers, engineers and first responders.
10. Green Home Discount: If you have made energy-efficient improvements to your home, you may be eligible for a green home discount on your insurance rate.
Availability, eligibility and the amount of discount vary by insurance company and policy. Ask your insurance agent to help you find any discounts you may qualify for.